Thursday, November 5, 2009

Into The Fire

No matter how much we do something, there is always a little angst the next time one starts something new. My first class was to be in five days and being someone who flies by the seat of his pants, I still had no plan to speak of except to read Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss to Level I, (kindergarteners to 2nd grade). They were, I thought at the time to be my biggest and most daunting group. I racked my brain. What could I teach that would be easy, interesting and something that each child could do with adult supervision? Again a moment of clarity, EGGS. Hence my first class was given the title, "All About the Egg." The subject matter could segue into a myriad of topics; chickens, birth, creation, proteins, fats, cholesterol, all of which I felt a bit advanced for my audience. I had gotten advice on teaching children from all quarters, parents, former teachers, teachers, educators and just plain folk. Little did I know that their level of intelligence was on a par with much older children, than, when I was a child. Boy was I in for an education myself. I formulated a plan and wrote my recipes and said a prayer that it all goes well. This was my maiden voyage. Not only would it test my mettle but the very future of the project hung in the balance. There would be no cause to fail. The freeway was the first time I sweat, this was to be the second, as I marched into the fire. Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment