Monday, November 9, 2009

Going Back to School

After a most brilliant, acapella, handclapping song the kids made me feel welcomed. I gazed out at their beautiful faces trying to see each separately, innocent, trusting and nonjudgemental. I felt a heavy weight on my shoulders. Only my best would do. I introduced myself as Charles, but later learned that these children were being taught respect, manners and graciousness, so henceforth I became Mr. Charles or just Chef. Armed with my borrowed copy of Green Eggs and Ham and the slight formality of asking all their names we began to read. I started to become the child within and totally lost tract of the time line that I had been given. The kids were responding and I was in a zone. We were having such a good time with Dr. Seuss, I forgot we still had to make mayonnaise. My lovely director whispered to me that I had 30 minutes. I could not believe that an hour had passed this quickly and the kids had not been fed. Not to worry, a whole army of hands rushed to the rescue. We must have had ten people peeling eggs; with me looking like a star, I demonstrated to the kids how to transform an ordinary egg into something called mayonnaise. They even joked about the way I pronounced it with my southern accent. All being said, with the help of God and all the backup, I got the job done, the children were happy and hopefully learned something new. One little girl as I was leaving ran up and hugged me and said "thank you" another little guy said, "goodbye chef." The seduction was now complete. My next trial was Level 2, will I be able to retain my title of Iron Chef? Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment