Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A Shakey Start

After talking to the young lady that directed the Freedom School and getting directions for a site visit, I could not turn back. She gave me directions to a church located in a part of the city that was as alien to me as another planet. I don't think I've ever been outside of the loop. Nevertheless, I had made a commitment and was determined to keep it. The morning was just like any other Tuesday morning, I was off from work, unrushed and well rested. I got up did a mapquest of the address, the lady had given me and wrote down the directions and felt pretty sure that I would have no problems finding the place. While taking my morning shower, however, doubt again creeped into my thoughts. I started hearing all the conversations I had with well meaning friends about what was going to happen, I had no experience teaching children, how was I going to maintain control, how was I going to keep them interested, will I be effective? Then it dawned on me, THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOU. Again feeling confident, I set out
to the church following my handwritten directions. To my surprise I arrived exactly in the right place at the right time, providence was with me. I called the director on my cell phone because the facility appeared to be closed, she directed me to come to the side entrance and there she was a beautiful young woman with a smile that immediately made me feel welcomed. And what's this, she's as pregnant as pie. I didn't realize it at the time, but so was I. We were both about to give birth. Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment