Monday, June 28, 2010

The Secret Life of Vegetables

Today officially marked the second year of the FCP. The emphasis this year will be to take the knowledge we learned about food and make our lives better. I thought of many ways to approach this topic but the best way to drive home this message was to get the kids back into the soil. As a child we loved playing in the dirt. I had each Level I chef plant an egg carton garden. They actually got back in touch with Mother Earth. Level I had always daunted me but this year there was something different. I felt more at ease with the children, just being myself, but at the same time knowing that I am giving them life altering information that could one day impact them. I moved freely among them showing them how to put the seeds in the soil and then cover them with another layer of soil. The smallest thing amazed them. I felt so blessed that God had chosen me for this mission. This year's beginnings went very smoothly compared to the chaotic start of 2009. Even though I slept well, there was a bit of angst when I got out of bed. My mind was immediately put at ease, when a generous donation from my company came though and also a good friends donation of fresh basil. I had a great idea about what the kids would make with basil and tomatoes, and since we had just plant them, the first thing that came to mind was brushchetta, only mine will have a twist.

No comments:

Post a Comment