Monday, December 21, 2009

Let Them Eat Cake

Level 2 came with a new set of rules that I was about to learn. This group, though, more animated was to my surprise more easily influenced. I heard varying degrees of chatter about the newest this and that. Thinking that I could rely on what I had learned about children from Level 1 was short lived. Each group came with its own set of rules. Its thrilling not to know what you are going to do next, but at the same time scary not to know what to do at all. I was preplexed. Knowing that I wanted to teach this level baking but what? Cookies were to trite and cupcakes, expected. Then it dawned on me to teach them how to make a cake. Not just any cake but a pound cake, one with a tender golden crumb delicately flavored with lemon, almond and vanilla. At the same time they could learn about ratio and proportion based on the original French recipe for a Quart Quartre (equal parts of flour, sugar, butter and eggs). I decided that each child should make his own cake. I was able to procure some cute little tin baking cups that were perfect. I had never baked in the church's oven but I prayed that it would work. I made a just in case cake to take with me to class. Again, the stage was set and I was ready for the curtain. Continued

1 comment:

  1. Hi Charlie great post so what happened were the cakes a sucess? Happy New Year left a slice of the Buche de Noel I made.

    ReplyDelete